Coconut oil acts as an anti-fungal, and is a versatile ingredient that we can easily incorporate in our staple diet by replacing it with our cooking oil. Coconut oil can also be taken as a supplement, in the form of capsules. The three different fatty acids are found in coconut oil, namely: lauric acid, capric acid, and caprylic acid. All of which make it a strong anti-fungal which we can easily use for the treatment of infections caused by the yeast: Candida albicans.
Effectiveness of Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection
– The caprylic acid present in the coconut oil kills the yeast colonies in our body whenever it comes in contact with them. The yeast immediately stop replicating and thus the growth are halted. The caprylic acid is very good at breaking down the yeast cell membrane in the vagina that leads to itchiness and thrush.
– Coconut oil can work as an effective barrier as it can form a protective layer on the skin that is affected by yeast overgrowth. It also prevents the area from any kind of foreign invasion from outside, and using coconut oil isn’t as messy as using creams. Moreover, it does not cause any irritation
– When we apply or consume coconut oil for yeast infection treatment we often come across a situation known as ‘Herxheimer Reaction’, which is caused when the fungus starts dying at a fast rate and leads to a die-off condition. During this process toxins are released into the blood. Though it worsens the symptoms but it is actually an indication that you getting healed and the treatment is working. To overcome such a situation, one should look to consume more and more fluids, and eat less rich and light food.
Methods Used for Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection
– Direct application on the skin – After making sure that the yeast infected area is dry and clean, we apply a thin layer of coconut oil on the area and repeat the process two to three times in a day. The infection will heal faster if applied regularly at specific intervals.
– Incorporating Coconut Oil in our Diet – By adding three to five spoons of coconut oil in our food, it can act as effective antifungal ingredient. Some ways to incorporate it:
– Replace the butter on your toast with coconut oil in your breakfast.
– Before taking our meals, add one spoon of coconut oil to them, and the immune system will be boosted, it will cure the yeast infection and prevent it from coming back.
– The coconut oil can replace the cooking oil easily because it can withstand high temperatures easily, and it will not break down into any transfats, as it has higher stability than many cooking oils.
– Wash the infected area with Coconut oil for yeast infection treatment which is all natural: the infection can be treated effectively if we wash the infected area with 2 to 3 spoons of coconut oil mixed in luke warm water. Moreover, dipping a tampon, that is not bleached, into the coconut oil and leaving it inside the vagina for 7 to 8 hours or overnight, can be effective in treating genital yeast infections.
– Coconut capsules are also a good method of using coconut oil for yeast infection. They are just as effective as bottled coconut oil, with all the same benifits.
– Coconut oil and vitamin oil go hand in hand and can heal the infection much faster. Equal quantity of cinnamon oil can also be mixed with coconut oil, and be applied over the infected area for treatment of the infection. Moreover the coconut oil for yeast infection treatment can be mixed with few drops of vitamin E and garlic oil. This serum can then be applied over the infected area for faster healing.
A Candida Diet is Incomplete without Coconut Oil
The use of this natural antifungal: Coconut oil for yeast infection is very safe and effective in preventing the overgrowth of Candida albicans. Besides the antifungal properties it posses, various health issues are also cured if we incorporate coconut oil into our diets for a long term. We can even mix it with the other coconut based products like coconut aminos if we are using it as a salad dressing, or by adding coconut flour when we are baking something. Thus, do use the versatility of this ingredient to the fullest for best results.
Disturbance on the immune system and deficiency in zinc often trigger vaginal Candidiasis in patients. A 2008 study published in the ‘HAYATI Journal of Biosciences’ was conducted to understand the effectiveness of coconut oil enriched with zinc to neutrophil and lymphocyte cell. 30 women were tested with into 3 groups at an interval of 2 months with 2 tablespoon/day, 1 tablespoon/day and the control placebo. Results from blood tests showed that the coconut oil treatments of 2 tablespoon/day had the highest antifungal properties, second highest was in the 1 tablespoon/day, and the control placebo didn’t show any change. This study goes to show that by incorporating 2 tablespoon/day of coconut oil into the diet, one can have a good chance fighting and preventing yeast infections in their body.
In the year 2004, another study looked at the use of antifungal agents to fight microbial cells, and the effectiveness of virgin coconut oil as a natural antifungal agent to resist Candida yeast. 52 specimens from different individuals were found in Nigeria. Candida Albicans was the most common among them all. It was found that Candida Albicans were highly eliminated with coconut oil with least inhibitory concentration. It was even more effective in reducing Candida than certain medications as well. Thus it was concluded that coconut oil was active against the species of Candida at 100 % concentration and can be used in the treatment of fungal yeast infections. However, if you are thinking of going down the route of treating a yeast infection with coconut oil, it become vital that you also change your diet by reducing the sugary, starchy and yeast rich foods which cause Candida yeast infections. Also, please remember to always consult your doctor before stopping any medications.
Antimicrobial properties of coconut oil – Journal of Medicinal Food – 2007 – By Ogbolu DO, Oni AA, Daini OA, Oloko AP
Virgin Coconut Oil for Vaginal Candidiasis Patient – HAYATI Journal of Biosciences – 2008 – By HERY WINARSI, HERNAYANTI, AGUS PURWANTO
The Coconut Oil Miracle
Book By: Bruce Fife – 2013
Virgin Coconut Oil
Book By: Bruce Fife – 2006
Coconut Oil for Health
Book By: Britt Brandon – 2015
The Everything Coconut Diet Cookbook
Book By: Anji Sandage, & Lorena Novak Bull – 2011